What is the best way to encourage change in the people in your life? HBR recently posted the ten best tips for creating positive change momentum in the professional world.
Here are my top five:
- Embrace the power of one: “When you have 20 priorities, you have none. Research on multitasking reveals that we’re not good at it. Focus on one behavior to change at a time.”
- Make your goals specific and SMART: specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely!
- Paint a vivid picture: imagine a detailed vision of a better future you can aspire to. It will serve as an emotional inspiration.
- Activate peer pressure: by nature, we are affected by what the people around us do. Our peers help guide our social behavior, so use that to build momentum.
- Hire and fire based on behaviors: people act based on the ramifications of their actions. Use it to motivate them.
What do would you add to this list? Please share!
Ritu Walia is an FG Analyst.