To give you a leg up, here are the five top traits employers look for, according to a recent article by Forbes.
- Professionalism: Potential employers assess this from the moment you walk in the door. “From the clothes you wear to the way you stand to the grip of your first hand-shake, presenting yourself as a confident, energetic professional is about as basic as career advice gets. “
- High-energy: you want to be the person who raises the energy level, not the stick in the mud. Think about it, who would you rather be around at work?
- Confident: sell yourself. If you don’t believe you’re worth it, why should anyone else?
- Self-monitoring: no one has the time to babysit you. Make it clear that you’re focused and on task without any help.
- Intellectual curiosity: “An employee who will grudgingly adopt a new database is not as attractive as one who is truly passionate about learning new things.”
Do you concur that these are the top five, as an employer or as a coworker? What other traits matter more?
Ritu Walia is an FG Analyst.