For the most part, the people that you surround yourself with are your choice. A recent Forbes article makes the argument that you should make those choices carefully and include certain types of people. Here’s the list:
- The instigator. This is the person you call when you want to get things done because they always say: “Let’s do it.”
- The cheerleader. Someone who gets you pumped up and believes in you no matter what, sort of like Donna Reed in It’s a Wonderful Life.
- The doubter. You always need someone to challenge you and make sure you’re really giving it your best shot.
- The taskmaster. The project manager type you need in your corner to make sure you’re not dropping any balls.
- The connector. As we always say at myGreenlight, it helps to have a great relationship with the kind of person who can connect you to the right people to make things happen.
- The example. This is usually your mentor, the person who has the experience and knowledge to help you get where you want to go, because they’ve already been there.
Do you agree with this list? What types would you add?
Ritu Walia is an FG Analyst.