Smiling is contagious! And that’s just one example of how our environment and the people we surround ourselves with have a profound impact on our mood. That’s why it’s so important to maintain a healthy work environment. As a recent HBR article points out: “emotional contagion can take down your whole team.”
Author Tony Schwartz makes clear just how much emotions matter in the workplace. Remember the feeling of dreariness that envelops you when you’re at the DMV? Compare that to the level of energy and happiness that charge your experience at the Apple Store.
Emotional contagions can make or break your team. The author enumerates five takeaways on emotions in the workplace:
- The emotions people bring to work are as important as their cognitive skills, especially for leaders.
- Because it’s not possible to check our emotions at the workplace door — even when that’s expected — it pays to be aware of what you’re feeling in any given moment. You can’t change what you don’t notice.
- Negative emotions spread fast and are highly toxic.
- Authenticity matters. You can’t fake positivity for long.
- The key is to embrace the paradox of realistic optimism: look for the most empowering take on a situation, but confront difficulty and deal with it directly.
Do you agree with these takeaways? Please share!
Ritu Walia is a FG Analyst.